As a Quality Control Chemist, you are responsible for testing materials and finished products to ensure they conform to all applicable laws, regulations and company standards. The Quality Control Chemist tests products across the three stages of production (incoming, in-process, and final) to ensure quality levels are met.
All employees at VB Cosmetics aim to build a healthy company whose members share a common goal, accept personal responsibility, and earn each other’s respect. VB cosmetic employees excel in their tasks, help each other be successful, and provide creative, enjoyable opportunities for all.
Director of Quality
Critical Organizational Interactions
- Works in close collaboration with Senior Chemist, QC Techs, and QC Assistants
- Works in cooperation with Production, R&D, Receiving, Planning, Shipping, and Customer Service
Responsibilities and Essential Duties
- Perform daily verification of lab equipment and instruments (balance, pipette, refrigerator, freezer, oven, FTIR, GCMS, Incubators, etc.)
- Document and sample incoming Raw Materials
- Analyze raw materials, intermediates and bulk goods using:
- Instrumentation- GCMS, FTIR, AA, HPLC, TLC, Particle Size Analyzer, Spectrophotometer, Rheometer, etc.
- Wet Chem- Density, Specific Gravity, Draw Downs, Percent Solids, Gardner’s Test, pH, etc.
- Microbiology- Traditional media; agar, broths, petrifilm for TAC, Y&M, HPC, and pathogens
- Organoleptic- Evaluate of material using one’s senses
- Change disposition of raw materials, intermediates and bulk goods from QC after evaluation (APPROVED/REJECTED/REWORK)
- Maintain clean laboratory working surfaces, and disposes of excess chemicals, solutions, solvents, etc. in special waste receptacles as required
- Other responsibilities as assigned by management
- Participate in Lab Safety Audits
- Provide backup responsibilities to other QC team members
- Provide monthly KPI reports to the Director of Quality
- Participate in department meetings scheduled on Outlook calendar
- Monitor, track, and report on quality issues
- Monitor, manage and report results for OOS and Expiration Extension
- Assist with stability studies
- Maintain QC sample retention
- Maintain Lab Inventory; consumable chemicals, supplies and controls
- Work to keep Lab in adherence with 5S and Safety policies
- Assist with the creation and maintenance of Raw Material, Intermediates, Bulk, packaged goods and packaging material specifications
- Create and Revise QC
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Ability to listen intensively, and problem solve issues for the Quality Management Team
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of cGMP, cGLP, FDA, OSHA and Municipal Regulations
- Microsoft Office including Teams, Word, Excel, Outlook
- Attention to detail, critical‐thinker, and problem‐solver
Preferred Education/ Experience:
- BA/BS degree in Chemistry or Associates degree in Chemistry with additional experience
- Knowledge of cGMP, cGLP, FDA, OSHA and Municipal Regulations
- 5+ years’ experience with cosmetics, food science, nutraceutical, pharmaceutical, or specialty chemical manufacturing is desirable.
- Practical knowledge and application of GCMS analysis
As the Client Care Specialist you are responsible for interacting with customers to address their concerns, answer questions and assist them with their needs. All employees at VB Cosmetics aim to build a healthy company whose members share a common goal, accept personal responsibility, and earn each other’s respect. VB cosmetic employees excel in their tasks, help each other be successful, and provide creative, enjoyable opportunities for all.
Specific Job Responsibilities
- Maintaining a positive, empathetic, and professional attitude toward customers at all times
- Responding promptly to customer inquiries
- Communicating with customers through various channels
- Acknowledging and resolving customer complaints
- Knowing our products inside and out so that you can answer questions
- Processing orders, forms, applications, and requests
- Keeping records of customer interactions, transactions, comments, and complaints
- Communicating and coordinating with colleagues as necessary
- Providing feedback on the efficiency of the customer service process
- Ensure customer satisfaction and provide professional customer support
Skills & Experience
- 2 years of prior customer service experience
- Intermediate working proficiency in Syspro, Shopify, Kustomer, Teams, and Outlook
- High school diploma, general education degree, or equivalent
- Experienced and comfortable with Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Ability to stay calm when customers are stressed or upset
- Comfortable using computers
The Bulk Manufacturing Technician works individually and as part of a team to produce various VB Cosmetics products according to cGMP protocols and within specified quality expectations. Using a generated batch sheet, they retrieve the necessary raw materials from inventory, transact, measure, record and process as specified. They also assist with facilities maintenance, raw materials and consumable inventory, storage, waste streams, equipment maintenance and assisting other departments as necessary.
The Bulk Manufacturing Technician (I-IV) reports to the General Manager of Operations.
Key Interactions and Relationships
The Bulk Manufacturing Technicians, including all bands, interacts with Supply Chain, R&D, Quality, Filling/Bottling, Finance, and Receiving.
Specific Job Responsibilities
- Follows all safety procedures, practices and protocols. Follows proper grounding and bonding. Follows protocols for working in an explosion proof workspace.
- Works with flammable solvents, corrosive and acidic liquids and solids.
- Manufactures products and intermediate materials that meet or exceed VB Cosmetics quality standards in compliance with accepted cGMP protocols.
- Practices proper cGMP sanitation techniques when handling raw materials, process vessels, equipment, base, bulk, and intermediate products.
- Practices proper cGMP hygiene protocols when in manufacturing, production or material storage areas.
- Wear the proper Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) as per the materials being handled.
- Accurately measures materials using a variety of metric and standard unit scales.
- Records material additions, transfers, tares, run times, run speeds, equipment, process, etc. legibly on the batch sheet and transacts accordingly.
- Assists supervisor in maintaining required inventory levels for consumables, reports any shortages.
- Accurately pick, scan, and transact raw materials and intermediate products.
- Assists Supply Chain in maintaining required inventory levels for raw and intermediate materials, performs cycle counts and reports any shortages.
- Performs regular inspections in mixing and storage areas to ensure OSHA compliance.
Bulk Manufacturing Technician (I)
- Measure or weigh ingredients needed for manufacturing batches, look at material with a critical eye, and notify appropriate personnel if a possible problem occurs.
- Must be able to identify multiple types of raw materials and use these raw materials to complete complex batches.
- Required to wear the appropriate PPE during the pre-weigh process.
- Accurately use different styles and sizes of scales depending on the material, material amounts, and environments. Be proactive in recognizing faulty scale performance and take appropriate action.
- Effectively use material weighing implements to safely measure ingredients without waste.
- Clean and sanitize equipment used during the pre-weigh and manufacturing processes using the correct GMP and SOP guidelines.
- Ensure all ingredients are weighed into the proper intermediate containers.
- Ensure all preweighed materials are recorded and labeled correctly.
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment at all times using cGMP and SOP guidelines.
- Required to keep accurate records and track daily activity.
- Able to read and understand formulas, procedures, SOPs, and cGMPs.
- Able to perform some basic mechanical duties and safely operate the drum lift/tilter
- Certified forklift operator (internal certification required), operates the forklift in accordance to internal standards and OSHA regulations.
- Transfers bulk product into the appropriate storage and/or shipping containers once released from QC.
Bulk Manufacturing Technician (II)
- The Bulk Manufacturing Technician II will be responsible for all items as a Bulk Manufacturing Technician I, as well as the following:
- Manufactures intermediates, bulk, or lacquer products requiring hand tool mixing independently.
- Manufactures intermediates, bulk, or lacquer products using electrical or pneumatic mixing equipment under supervision.
- Manufactures intermediates and bulk products using the vertical mill under supervision.
- Performs basic repairs and maintains manufacturing equipment under supervision.
- Maintains waste compactor, changes out full waste drums with empty drum, labels
- and conditions drum for 180-day storage, stages drums in the 180-day storage locker in accordance with regulations, readies drums for pickup.
- Maintains satellite hazardous waste in mixing bays.
- Train new bulk manufacturing technicians on all Technician (I) duties.
Bulk Manufacturing Technician (III)
- The Bulk Manufacturing Technician III will be responsible for all items as a Bulk Manufacturing Technician I-II, as well as the following:
- Complete other duties as assigned by the Supervisor or Department Leads
- Manufactures intermediates, bulk, and lacquer products using electrical or pneumatic mixing equipment independently. Assists supervisor in troubleshooting any processing issues.
- Manufactures intermediates, bulk, and lacquer products using the vertical mill independently.
- Set up, operate, repair, clean and maintain any specialized equipment used for VB Cosmetics.
- Repairs and maintains manufacturing equipment independently.
- Trains new bulk manufacturing technicians on all Technician (I-II) duties.
- Assists supervisor in SOP development for VB Cosmetics products made using any equipment on site.
Lead Bulk Manufacturing Technician (IV)
- The Lead Bulk Manufacturing Technician IV will be responsible for all items as a Bulk Manufacturing Technician I-III, as well as the following:
- Assists supervisor in troubleshooting any processing issues.
- Works with Supply Chain to assist with daily/weekly scheduling of intermediate, bulk, or lacquer products.
- Assist supervisor to insure timely processing of all intermediate, bulk, and lacquer batches.
- Work with QC and R&D to insure all Route 9 batches and SOPs are ready for manufacturing, and can be processed according to SOP.
- Trains new bulk manufacturing technicians on all Technician (I-III) duties.
- Independent SOP development for all products made using any equipment on site.
- Ability to troubleshoot all material and labor variances. Offers insights and solutions to overcome related issues.
- Assists in setting parameters for automated equipment and control systems.
- Trains new bulk manufacturing technicians on all Technician (I-III) duties
Technical Skills & Experience
- Comfortable working with and around chemicals
- Good mechanical aptitude for operating and maintaining heavy equipment
- Capable of working with little or no supervision
- Mixing principles and fluid mechanics knowledge
- Basic chemical knowledge
- OSHA Certification
- Lean Manufacturing concepts
- Operating within cGMP guidelines
- Chemical Manufacturing experience
- Manufacturing or Production experience
- Chemical handling experience
- Forklift and pallet jack experience
- Knowledge of inventory movements and transactions
- Lifting, bending and stooping up to 50 lbs
- Basic math computation abilities
- Working knowledge of Excel
- Ability to read and comprehend documents at the level of the work being performe
- Able to take verbal and written instructions
- Able to communicate effectively
- Must be organized and able to multitask
- Good problem identification, problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Focus on the customer experience
- Enterprise thinking and alignment
- Personal leadership and initiative
- Accountability and follow-up
- Adaptability to change and innovation
- Open to continuing education
Job Description Review Timeframe
Every three months
As the HR Generalist, you are responsible for leading the human resources function of this high growth company. This position is the liaison between employees and the company providing excellent HR support in the following areas:
- Company-wide sourcing, recruiting, and onboarding of new hires
- Quarterly compensation review process
- Semi-annual performance review process
- Assist the Executive in maintaining the company organization chart
- Employee development planning process
- Human capital continuous Improvement gap analysis
- Effectively handle and manage employee relations issues in a balanced manner
- Develop and enforce company policies and practices while adhering to all state and federal laws related to employment and labor issues
- Assist in the execution of policy and procedural improvements
- Provide leadership, training and team development, and ongoing assessment to create and maintain a safe, efficient and responsive work environment and support the Company’s plan to be a desirable place to work.
Critical Organizational Interactions
All Directors and Managers All Employees
Routine Job Duties and Responsibilities
Lead HR support services for the business in an efficient, effective, and timely manner
- Manage the employment function, including recruitment, interviewing, and onboarding new hires and the separation process
- Identify and develop recruiting strategies to attract competent individuals, reduce hiring cost and turnover
- Facilitate and manage internal job postings, opportunities for promotion, new employee orientation
- Human capital continuous improvement gap analysis
- Consult with managers and supervisors regarding employee performance issues
- Mediate & assist in solving employee performance and/or work issues
- Assist with the disciplinary process by helping conduct employee termination discussions
- Address employee relations concerns and provide input to management Compensation and Benefits
- Lead the quarterly compensation review process and make recommendations to senior leadership
- Evaluate the benefits program and make recommendations HR Policy, Employment Law, and Compliance
- Provide possible solutions to employment issues within laws, regulations, and company policy
- Maintain and update the Employee Handbook
- Administer the Workmen’s Compensation program in the areas of return-to-work, light-duty and corrective action issues related to on-the-job injuries
- Manage the employee recognition program to create an atmosphere that encourages community, motivation and high performance
Non-Routine Duties and Responsibilities
- Work as a team with HR Project Manager
- Provide back-up for payroll administration
- Coordinate and assist with company & community events and activities
- Generate and distribute various reports as requested
- Perform all other duties, at the discretion of management, as assigned
- Self-confident, can-do attitude; resourceful and clever; proud of what you do
- Passionate about working with people and bringing out their best—believes that teams and working together are superior to heroes
- A belief system that assumes people want to do good work, and then supports them
- Refined collaborative approach that effectively communicates and works with colleagues across all functional areas of the enterprise
- Sees abundance and opportunity, not scarcity and restrictions
- Strong and respectful communication skills: presenting, writing, speaking, listening
- Positive change and continuous improvement are a way of life
- Is firm, positive and approachable to management and associates
- Strong problem identification, problem solving, critical thinking and decision-making skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, business, or related field
- 6+ years of Human Resources experience
- 4+ years of Full-Cycle Recruiting
- Knowledge of HR laws, regulations, and practices
- Working knowledge of worker’s compensation, ADA and unemployment regulations and reporting
- Experience with HR systems and MS Office applications